Genesis 2: 15 – 17. “And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. 16. And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: 17. But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.”
The Bible is a book of freedom and Boundaries which are set by God.
What is Boundaries
- A boundary is a “dividing line.
- A boundary is that which marks the end of one property or a jurisdiction from the beginning of another.
- A boundary can also be seen as what divides one person from another, so that each can have separate identities, responsibilities, and privileges. Which creates necessary “space” between individuals and teaches respect for others.
- Boundaries are about taking responsibility for our own lives because God gives us freedom to choose to live within His boundaries or outside of it, When one chooses to live outside of God’s boundaries it means to accept the consequences of such choice. Which shows that living inside God’s boundaries brings blessing, and living outside of them brings destruction and death Romans 6: 23. “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
- Adam and Eve had one boundary in the Garden of Eden: to abstain from the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. The Lord gave them freedom to remain within His bounds, but they chose to overstep the boundary and sin.
- Biblically boundaries teaches us about self-control and also protects us from the world that may want to control us. Titus 2: 12. “Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world”
- Boundaries can be used in healthy/good ways and also can be used in sinful ways. The way to know which boundaries are godly is to examine the motive behind it.
- Boundary is a fruit, of submitting to God’s will, and He will inturn enable us to make godly choices. – which Adam and Eve did not do and it caused a very great havoc on the human race.
- Boundaries are to be respected – God has designed the world so that boundaries are to be respected. He respects ours, and we need to respect his.. He respects man when he says No. Revelation 3: 20. “Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.”
- God expects his boundaries to be respected as well. When he makes choices, or says no to us, that is his right, his freedom. If we are to have a real relationship with him, we need to respect His rights and freedom to do as he chose.
How well do you respect God’s boundaries as wriiten in His Word?